MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT LOCAL MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT LOCAL AREA DEVELOPMENT (MPLADS)
The Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) was announced in the parliament on 23rd Dec-1993. Under this scheme each M.P. will have choice to suggest to the concerned District Deputy Commissioner about developmental works based on locally felt needs in his /her constituency. Elected members of Rajya sabha representing the whole of the state as they do may select works for implementation in one or more district(s) but within one state of their choice. Upto 1997-98 the allocation was one Crore per year per M.P. It stands increased to Rs. 2-00 crores from the year 1998-99.
Deputy Commissioner while identifying and selecting works and giving administrative sanction for the same should invariably get the concurrence of the M.P.. All sanctions for works should be accorded within 45 days from this date of receipt of proposal from the M.P.. In case, when his constituency falls in more than one district, the head of the district who receives the money released by the Government Of India shall make the required funds available to the other concerned districts in keeping with the M.P.’s choice, so the head(s) of such other district(s) could implement the works suggested by the M.P. in his district(s).
The works under this scheme would be implemented by different Government agencies or any other Non-Governmental reputed organization who may be capable of implementing the works satisfactorily, engagement of contractors is prohibited.
When there is a change in the M.P. for whatever reason it may be, if the work identified by the predecessor MP is under execution it should be completed, if the work identified by the predecessor MP is pending due to administrative reasons beyond a period of 45 days from the date on which advise was received for taking up this work. It should be executed provided the work is the otherwise as per norms . If this predecessor MP had identified the work, but it was not taken up for execution because administrative reasons, It can be executed subject to the confirmations of the successor M.P .
In respect of member of Rajya sabha, the unspent balance left by the predecessor M.P. in a particular state will be equally distributed amongst the successor Rajya Sabha Members in that particular state.
Ideally it would be desirable that the M.P.s suggest individual woks costing not more than Rs.10-00 lakhs per work. However the limit should not be too rigidly construed, amounts higher than Rs10-00 lakhs per work can be spent depending upon the nature of work.
The funds released by Government of India under the scheme would be non-lapsable. Funds for individual works should be properly released. 75% of the cost of the works can be released in the first installment itself, the balance of 25 % released after watching the progress.
Funds released under the scheme shall be deposited in nationalized banks, interest accrued on the funds deposited in nationalized banks may be used for the works approved under guidelines.
In order that local people become aware that particular works have been executed with MPLADS’ funds, sign boards carrying the inscription “MPLADS WORK’ with the name of M.P. may be prominently erected at the sites.
- Construction of buildings for school, hostels, libraries and other buildings of educational institutions belonging to Government or local bodies. Such buildings belonging to aided to Institution and unaided but recognized institution can also be constructed provided, however, that the institutions be in existence for not less than two years.
- Construction of tube-wells and water tanks for providing water to the people in villages, towns and cities, or execution of other works, which may help in this respect.
- Construction of roads including part roads, approach roads, link roads etc. in villages and towns and cities. Very selectively kutcha roads can also be constructed where the M.P. concerned and the District Head agree to meet the locally felt need.
- Constructions of culverts/bridges on the roads of above description and of open cut or tube wells.
- Construction of common shelters for the old or handicapped.
- Construction of buildings for local bodies for recognized District or State Sports Association and for cultural and sports activities or for hospitals. Provision of multi-gym facilities in gymnastic centers sports association, Physical education training institutions etc, is also permissible.
- Special forestry, farm forestry, horticulture, pastures, parks and gardens in government and community lands or other surrendered lands.
- De-silting of ponds in villages, towns and cities.
- Construction of public irrigation and public drainage facilities.
- Constructions of common gobar gas plants, Non-conventional energy systems/ devices for community use and related activities.
- Construction of irrigation embankments, or lift irrigation or water table recharging facilities.
- Construction of public libraries and reading rooms.
- Construction of creches and anganwadis.
- Construction of public health care buildings, including family welfare sub-centers together with the ANM residential quarters. Such buildings belonging to aided institution also can be constructed.
- Construction of Crematoriums and structures on burial / cremation grounds.
- Construction of public toilets & bath rooms.
- Construction of drain and gutters.
- Construction of footpaths, pathways and footbridges.
- Provision of civic amenities like electricity, water, pathways, public toilets etc. in slum areas of cities town and villages and in SC/ST habitations, provision of common work-sheds in slums and for artisans.
- Construction of residential schools in tribal areas.
- Construction of bus-sheds/stops for public transport passengers.
- Construction of veterinary aid centers, artificial insemination centers and breeding centers.
- Procurement of hospital equipment like X-Ray machines, Ambulances for Government Hospitals and setting up of mobile dispensaries in rural area by Government Panchayati Institutions. Ambulances can be provided to reputed service organizations like Red Cross, Ramakrishna Mission etc.
- Electronic Projects:
i.) Computer in education project of High School /College.
ii.) Information footpath
iii.) Ham club in high schools
iv.) Citizen band radio
v.) Bibliographic data- base projects.
- Construction of Level Crossing at unmanned Railway crossing.
- Office buildings, residential buildings, and other buildings relating to Central or State Governments, Departments, Agencies or Organizations.
- Works belonging to commercial organizations, trusts, registered societies, private institutions or co-operative institutions.
- Repair and maintenance works of any type other than special repairs for restoration / up-gradation of any durable asset.
- Grant and loans.
- Memorials or memorial buildings.
- Purchase of inventory or stock of any type.
- Acquisition of land or any compensation for land acquired.
- Assets for all individual benefit, except those which are part of approved schemes.
- Places for religious worship.